Oral Cancer Screening
A visual examination of your mouth to screen for signs of cancer or precancerous conditions is performed at your routine dental appointments. Oral cancer can be treated successfully if caught early enough, before any symptoms occur.
Signs and symptoms of Oral Cancer
- White or dark red patches in your mouth, or on your lips or tongue.
- Lumps or changes in the texture or colour of the mouth tissues.
- Bleeding or numbness in the mouth; sores or patches that do not heal.
- Difficulty swallowing; changes in taste or tongue sensation
The actual cause of oral cancer is not known but risk factors include:
- Consumption of tobacco products (cigarettes, chewing tobacco, cigars, etc).
- Heavy alcohol consumption (It is especially dangerous to combine smoking and alcohol.)
- Oral sex
- Prolonged, repeated exposure of the lips to the sun.
- Poor diet; genetics and gender (more men develop the disease than women.)
- A history of leukoplakia - a thick, whitish-colour patch inside the mouth.
To help prevent oral cancer:
- See your dentist regularly for dental exams and ask about oral cancer screenings.
- Stop using tobacco products - ask your dentist about tools to help you quit.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Limit sun exposure and use U/V protective lip balms.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Check your mouth regularly for signs or symptoms and report any changes in your mouth to your dentist right away.
ViziLite® oral cancer screening system
In addition to routine visual examinations, our Mississauga Dental Office offers ViziLite® oral cancer screening system. This system helps us to identify, evaluate, monitor and mark abnormal oral lesions including precancerous cells and cancer that may be difficult to see during a regular visual exam.
We would be pleased to answer any questions you may have about ViziLite®. While it may or may not be covered by your insurance company, we do not permit insurance coverage to dictate recommendations for your optimal long term health.
If you know someone who would benefit from ViziLite® screening, we would welcome them into our care
Call Smile Design today to schedule an oral cancer screening appointment 905-270-5112